Friday, March 10, 2006

Movie Night!

So we're planning an 'all day movie extravaganza' up at Shiny's house on St. Paddy’s day. There may well be green beer, shamrocks and shillelaghs...but...umm...yeh, it'll be mostly movies.

Anyways, as Little Miss Shiny is just about to turn 18, there are many many great movies that were before her time. Films which left unseen would leave a whopping great hole in anyone’s life...

...well...a possible exaggeration, but still. Must-see movies.


Matt and myself spent about an hour compiling a list, which ended up, like, 3 pages long, so we had to restrict ourselves to just 80's must see movies...um, which ever so slightly turned into 80's/very early 90's must see movies...but still, it's a much much much shorter list.

What your job as a reader is, to choose your 'top 5' and your 'secondary 5' from the list and add any suggestions that I might have forgotten (1980 - 1994 only please). Each of your 'top 5' will get 2 points, and your 'secondary 5' will get 1 point. I will mark votes beside each of the movies as they come in. We will then watch the overall top 5 movies chosen during our St. Paddy's Day movie extravaganza.

Now I'm aware that Sarah will have more than likely already seen a few of these, especially the 90's era ones, so if she wishes, she can let me know and they will be eliminated from the final list.

Here goes:

19801982
The Blues Brothers 6
Private Benjamin
Caddyshack
The Shining

ET 2
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid 3

Tootsie 2

19831984
Trading Places 7
The Man with Two Brains 4
National Lampoons Vacation
Ghost Busters 1
Splash
The Terminator
Gremlins 1
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom 3
Beverly Hills Cop
Police Academy
19851986
Back to the Future
Teen Wolf 1
Brewsters Millions
Cocoon 1
Spies Like Us
Santa Claus The Movie
Brazil 2

Short Circuit 8
Labyrinth 4
Jumpin' Jack Flash 5
Platoon 1
¡Three Amigos! 2
The Money Pit
Wildcats
Ferris Bueller's Day Off 1
Aliens 2
Ruthless People
The Golden Child
The Fly
Crocodile Dundee

19871988
The Secret of My Succe$s
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Dragnet 5
Roxanne 3
Dirty Dancing
The Lost Boys 1
Mannequin
Throw Momma From The Train
Spaceballs 4
Predator 1
Batteries Not Included 1
Lethal Weapon
Big 6
Die Hard 10
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 6
Child's Play
A Fish Called Wanda 8
Scrooged
Twins
Big Business
Coming to America
The Naked Gun 1
19891990
The `burbs
K-9 8
Parenthood 1
Uncle Buck
See No Evil, Hear No Evil 1
Turner & Hooch
Troop Beverly Hills
Bill & Ted 1
The Abyss
Beetlejuice 4
The Dream Team
Fletch Lives
Ghost
Taking Care of Business
Bird On A Wire
Mr. Destiny 1
Navy Seals
Flatliners
Kindergarten Cop 1
Tremors
19911992
The Hard Way
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves 4
Point Break 1
Curly Sue
Doc Hollywood
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
HouseSitter
19931994
Coneheads 3
Groundhog Day 6
Serial Mom
Airheads 1
Speed
True Lies
Trapped in Paradise

Right! Get to it! Go vote! =)


If you would like more info on any of the movies listed, type the name into the IMDB search box below and hit 'go':

18 comments:

Sarah J. MacManus said...

Too easy!

Top 5;
Groundhog Day
Roxanne
A Fish Called Wanda
Labyrinth
Big

Second Top 5:

The Lost Boys
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom
Bill & Ted
The Man with Two Brains
Parenthood

Jo said...

Good call =) *updating*

Jo said...

OMG! I totally forgot about that one! *adds it in* =) Thankies!

R. said...

Oh movies! Goodie!

Cocoon - well mostly because it`s a sort of classic of the modern era.(1)
Roxanne - funny as hell (1)
Spaceballs- me being a Star Wars fan..you know what I mean! ;) AND you have Mel Brooks! Groovy!(2)
Beetlejuice - I have a soft spot for Michael Keaton. :D (1)
Groundhog day- That gos for Bill Murray. Just amplify it by 2. :)(2)
ET- Come one, it`s ET! Spielberg may not exactly be my thing but I found that too sweet to pass on. Et gets a (2)
Tootsie- If she liked Ms Doubtfire, there`s a chance she`ll like this one as well. Besides! Who can pass on young Dustin Hoffman in a dress?! :)(2)
Ghostbusters - Bill Murray again, what can I say? Not a great movie but it`s a dear one to me. (1)
Indiana Jones - Because it`s enjoyable. Not good. But enjoyable. (1)
A fish called wanda - Because THIS a great movie indeed! I won`t even mention a yummy Kevin Kline ;) (2)

First tim I rad "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" I thought it was The Dirty Dozen but then I realised that was not from the 80s. But if you ever get your hands on that, it`s a MUST!

I would have suggestd Brazil too. I was surprised Moro appreciated it as a good movie, I thought I was the only one. The thing is that most people consider it a not so good film so I didn`t add it at the end.


Now, questions for my curiosity: Who`s Matt, who`s Sarah? :)

Jo said...

Dont be surprised...Brazil is one of my all time fav's (and my fav of all Gilliams movies)

Again with the good choices...and good reasoning =D

Matt is my Fiance - his blog is here if ya wanna have a nosey ...and Little Miss Shiny Sarah's LJ is here...I adopted her as my little sister at a hockey game about 6 years ago and I now feel very much responsible for her entertainment education as her parental units have obviously neglected this...I mean she's never even see ET for flipsake!! ;o) lol

Anonymous said...

First no ET, then they buggered off to the other side of the world for 3 weeks. I feel so loved... *sniffles*

Anyhoo, here's the one's I've already seen:
~Ghost Busters
~Beverly Hills Cop
~Police Academy
~Back to the Future (how can anyone have missed it? It's rockin.... Plus the deLorean plant was about 2 miles from my house. True story...)
~Santa Claus the Movie (I think)
~Ferris Bueller
~Crocodile Dundee
~Planes, Trains, & Automobiles (I think)
~Twins
~Naked Gun
~The 'burbs (Loved it!)
~Uncle Buck
~Beetlejuice (luff it!)
~Bill & Ted (excellent! *air guitar*)
~Kindergarten Cop
~Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Though, in saying that, it's been years since I've seen the majority of those, so wouldn't mind watching 'em again. And there are a few I can't really remember much about but just remember I enjoyed them (like Ferris Bueller & Ghost Busters)

As long as I don't end up watching anything which will make me hide behind the sofa in terror (argh Patrick Swayze! =P), then I'm happy!

Jo said...

Sarah said: "Back to the Future (how can anyone have missed it?"

...umm...you missed ET for fecksake! *rolls eyes* lmao anythings possible!

Anonymous said...

That's because of my dad's little phrase:

"I'm not having that keek on in this house!"

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

This is a pretty damn good list I think you covered the essentials jo...But I did not see Ferris Buellers Day Off in that list, your slacking now...

Anonymous said...

.... Ferris Bueller's Day Off is in the list....

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

damn what a poor sap I am, it is in the list, what good am I? I wish I could be at the viewing party though it would bring back a ton of memories, what am I talking about, it already has...

Sarah J. MacManus said...

I don't think these are on your list, but two of my favs from the era are with Val Kilmer:

"Real Genius" (1985)
"Top Secret" (1984)

Kaz said...

ferris bueller!! love it!
u've made think i have not seen enough classics!!

Jo said...

Hey guys! Been in Edinburgh all weekend, just in the door! Will update asap! =)

Anonymous said...

ok...

1. Short Circuit
2. K-9
3. Jumpin' Jack Flash
4. Die Hard
5. Trading Places

then,

1. Labyrinth
2. Robin Hood
3. Coneheads
4. Point Break
5. Taking Care of Business

Anonymous said...

1. Trading Places
2. Short Circuit
3. Dirty Roten Scoundrels
4. K9
5. Die Hard

6. Coneheads
7. Big
8. Mr Destiny
9. Jumpin Jack Flash
10. Dragnet

Anonymous said...

omg! memories!

1,dirty rotten scoundrels
2,die hard
3,short circuit
4,k9
5,big
6,dragnet
7,robinhood
8,trading places
9,coneheads
10,airheads

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

jo you have way to big a calling in the movie marathon biz to be skippin' out all weekend like that, ha I'm glad to hear your livin' that beautiful life so keep it up, later pretty girl...